Young people with epilepsy may experience difficulties with communication and speech and language.
This includes listening and understanding what is being said to them and also finding the right words to express themselves and make themselves understood.
Strategies that may be useful include:
- Speaking clearly and slowly and be specific
- Being aware of non-verbal communication
- Allowing more time and checking understanding
- Modelling correct responses instead of correcting
- Repeating and rephrasing
- Avoiding closed questions
- Group work and role play
- Teaching key words
- Using visual prompts to reinforce speech and keywords - concrete objects, photos, pictures, symbols
- PEC systems, Makaton and Signalong