Epilepsy and benefits | Living with epilepsy | About epilepsy

Epilepsy and benefits

If you have a child with epilepsy you may be eligible to claim benefits.

Disabled Living Allowance (for children under 16 years of age) may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who has difficulty walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

There are strict eligibility criteria that must be met and an assessment may take place to work out what help is needed.

Young people over the age of 16 years may be entitled to claim a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if they meet the eligibility criteria.

If you are eligible for the mobility component of a PIP, you may also be eligible for the national Blue Badge scheme.

In addition to any benefits you may be eligible to claim, your local council can also provide help with:

  • Short break services
  • Holiday play schemes
  • Care at home
  • Some aids and adaptations
  • Financial help, e.g. money towards travel costs for hospital visits.

For more information, contact the social services team at your local council.


Our dedicated Helpline can provide information and support for living with epilepsy. For a private, confidential chat, call us on 01342 831342 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Helpline: 01342 831342 (Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm)
Star Icon

Star Fact!

Misdiagnosis rates in the United Kingdom are between 20–31%.

Cyber EssentialsFundraising RegulatorYoung Epilepsy is the operating name of The National Centre for Young People with Epilepsy Charitable Trust.
Registered Charity number 311877 (England and Wales)

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site
EU Cookie Directive plugin by www.channeldigital.co.uk