Young Epilepsy Paediatric Epilepsy Research Retreat 2017
World renowned paediatric neurologist and senior research fellow, Professor Ingrid Scheffer AO led Young Epilepsy’s Paediatric Epilepsy Research Retreat 2017 which was hosted by Professor Helen Cross OBE, The Prince of Wales's Chair of Childhood Epilepsy.
Now in its seventh year, this event brought together over 90 of the brightest minds in paediatric epileptology. International researchers, professors, PhD students and research scientists presented and discussed 21 varied current projects which aim to tackle epilepsy, support early intervention and improve long term outcomes for children and young people.
9 facts you probably didn’t know about the Research Retreat:
- This year marked the 7th Young Epilepsy Paediatric Research Retreat
- It’s the 10th year that Professor Helen Cross OBE has been the Prince of Wales's Chair of Childhood Epilepsy.
- This global event has attendees from Europe, Australia, Canada and America
- Over the past 7 years, 154 projects have been discussed at the event
- As a unit, we have been responsible for 518 original research publications, books, chapters and editorial reviews
- Speakers can only use half of their time to present their project because the discussion with the multidisciplinary audience is just as important
- The Retreat gives senior practitioners and researchers the only opportunity to discuss their project with other professionals in their field.
- It is refreshingly non-competitive. Research can be a very competitive world and we create a nurturing environment in which to support future stars of epilepsy research
- We have over 20 Principal Investigators who run their own research teams and have supported over 30 PhD students
Stay tuned to Young Epilepsy social media channels where we will deliver summaries and updates on these pieces of research as well as epilepsy research from across the globe.