The children and young people's epilepsy charity
A- A A+
Donate Shop Careers Main Number: 01342 832243 (Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm)
Helpline: 01342 831342 (Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm)

Disabled Students' Allowances

Disabled Students' Allowances cover any extra costs related to education as a result of your epilepsy.

You can apply for DSAs at almost any point, but try to do so before you arrive, as support will be put in place much more quickly.

The DSAs do not cover everyday student costs, such as course fees or accommodation. Nor does it cover any support that doesn’t relate directly to your education.

Higher Education providers themselves also have a legal obligation to make "reasonable adjustments" so that you are not put at a disadvantage because of your epilepsy. This means that Higher Education providers are expected to offer lower cost support that may not be covered by DSAs, including the costs of specialist accommodation provided by the university or their agents.

Find out more about applying for DSA's

What support is available?

What you receive will be dependent on your assessment and what recommendations are made for your support. Here are some examples of what could be provided:

Specialist equipment

For example:

A dictaphone: this may be helpful if your medication makes you tired or makes it harder to concentrate during lectures. It might also be useful if you have absence seizures during classes.

They gave me a dictaphone and it’s brilliant. If I have an aura in the middle of a lecture and I have to stop, it keeps recording.
Georgina (18)

A laptop and printer: having to spend late nights in the library can cause stress, which is a common trigger for seizures. This option allows you to work at your own pace and in your own environment.

I’d often get scared having to go the library at night, in case I happened to have a seizure. My seizures are brought on through stress and tiredness so exams were even more of a hectic point, so it was suggested I have a computer at home
Jennifer (23)

Computer or laptop with an anti-glare screen: these may be useful if you have photosensitive epilepsy.

I’ve been given a laptop with an anti-glare screen. We had a family laptop that didn’t have the anti-glare, so I couldn’t use it for long periods of time.
Robert (18)

Software to adjust the lighting and colour on a screen: some people with photosensitive epilepsy find that their seizures can be triggered by large contrast differences. Being able to reduce this may be helpful for some people.

The support officer knew about things like changing the colour of the screen. She gave me some software, so it wasn’t always a white background.
Sarah (22)

Dictation software: this may help you if you have photosensitive epilepsy. It allows you to make notes or write essays without having to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.

Non-medical helpers

For example:

A note-taker: someone who can take notes for you if you find it difficult to concentrate or have absence seizures. They can also take notes when you unable to attend lectures for medical reasons.

I’ve got a note-taker for when I have a seizure, so I’ve got more detailed notes. So if I had an absence then I’ve got everything.
Katie (22)

I’ve been provided with a note-taker if I need it. If I have a seizure in the morning and I can’t go to a lecture, I just have to inform my university and it is able to send the note-taker to take any notes I might miss.
Robert (18)

A mentor or tutor: the role of this person can vary from providing help with effective studying methods to emotional support as well.

I have a mentor. She’s there for both study support and emotional support. It’s been good to have her at times.
Sarah (22)

I’ve got a mentor who I can go and see, and he goes over work, work strategies and he helps me quite a bit.
Katie (22)

I get weekly meetings with a study skills tutor and she gets to look over assignment work. She helps me with study skills and concentration skills. A large effect of my medicine is it makes concentration difficult and it affects memory as well.
Robert (18)

Helpline: 01342 831342 (Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm)
Star Icon

Star Fact!

The number of children and young people aged 18 years and under with epilepsy is near 1 in 220.

Like us on Facebook

Cyber EssentialsFundraising RegulatorYoung Epilepsy is the operating name of The National Centre for Young People with Epilepsy Charitable Trust.
Registered Charity number 311877 (England and Wales)

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site
EU Cookie Directive plugin by