Adult health services: transition guide | For young people

Adult health services: transition guide

Changing from a children’s doctor to an adult doctor is known as transition. Depending on how things work in the area where you live, you’ll move to an adult clinic sometime between the ages of 16 - 18.

Some people have an adolescent transition clinic in their area to help them prepare for this move. But during this period everyone is expected to take more responsibility for their medical treatment. This could be:

  • Making your own clinic appointments.
  • Suggesting that you would like some time with the doctor on your own.
  • Ordering repeat prescriptions, and following a treatment plan.
  • Keeping your seizure diary up to date, and recording any side effects that might be a result of your medication.
  • Between clinic visits, noting all the questions you’d like to ask your doctor or epilepsy specialist nurse.

None of this is difficult, but it will all help to reassure you and those around you, that you can manage your epilepsy as well as any other adult.

Helpline: 01342 831342 (Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm)
Cyber EssentialsFundraising RegulatorYoung Epilepsy is the operating name of The National Centre for Young People with Epilepsy Charitable Trust.
Registered Charity number 311877 (England and Wales)

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site
EU Cookie Directive plugin by