Do you have an unwanted shareholding or are you looking for a way to donate while reducing your tax bill?
- Donating shares to Young Epilepsy is one of the most tax-effective ways you can donate:
- You won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too.
- If you are a higher rate (40%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% of the value of the gift, e.g. if you make a gift of £10,000 worth of shares you will receive income tax relief of £4,000.
- If you are a highest rate (45%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 50% of the value of the gift.
To make all these savings all you need to do is:
- Give the shares to a registered charity
- Claim the tax relief on your tax return
- Have paid the amount of tax deducted by the end of the tax year in which the gift is given.
- Your shares must be listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
If you are unsure of your tax situation and would like more information on this, please contact the HM Revenue & Customs helpline on 0845 900 0444 or visit the HMRC website.
Donating your shares to support our work is a simple, tax effective way to help us support more young people living with epilepsy in the UK.